Mental Health and Other Clinicians
Counselors, psychologists, neurofeedback therapists and other clinicians find iLs a natural complement to their practice. iLs programs are conducted simultaneously with the therapist’s specialty. The inherent flexibility of an iLs program allows therapists to customize programs to meet client needs and time constraints. READ ILS RESEARCH
How Do I Integrate iLs into my Practice?
Most mental health professionals use iLs in the beginning of a therapy session as a warm up, building rapport with the client and reducing anxiety in the process.
- Clinic Programs: Most clinic programs involve 15-40 sessions, with each session being 30-60 minutes in length.
- Clinic + Home Programs: To supplement the frequency of clinic therapy, iLs has a rental program for your clients. iLs handles the equipment, shipping, etc. and you oversee the therapy. More frequency = better results.
- School Programs: iLs can be combined with counseling in a school setting very effectively. School personnel can be trained to conduct iLs sessions in the absence of the mental health professional so that the frequency required for improvement may occur. For specifics on school implementation please see the Educator section or contact iLs.
Understanding iLs and How it Works
iLs is based on the fact that we can change our brain – we can essentially re-wire it through specific and repeated stimulation, a concept known as neuroplasticity. As in building strength and endurance with physical exercise, we can build neurological pathways and synaptic activity at any age. iLs trains for brain/body integration through a staged approach, starting with the fundamentals of sensory integration and then extending through more complex cognitive functions, including language, self-expression and social skills.
iLs trains the neurological pathways needed for daily functioning. The combined activities have a global effect on the brain and central nervous system, influencing the following systems and their function: auditory, visual, vestibular (balance and coordination), motor, cognitive (thinking and reasoning) and emotional. As a result, it is successfully applied to a wide variety of conditions.
- Learning – Building the skills which enable success in school: attention, visual and auditory processing, memory, self-expression, social skills
- Performance Optimization – Improving processing speed and timing (athletics), creativity and imagination (arts and business), self–esteem and self-confidence (personal development)
- Neuro-Developmental – Achieving therapeutic goals related to emotional and behavioral regulation, sensory processing, communication and social skills; examples: Autism, Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy
- Psychological/Emotional – Improving attention, emotional balance and vitality
- Rehabilitation – Recovering energy and skills related to language, movement and cognitive function (memory, organization, planning) after a stroke or head injury
- Watch Webinar: introductory webinars are available at no charge, live or on-demand
- Sign up for training: training may be taken by distance or live, in dozens of locations throughout the U.S. and Australia – register here
- Purchase equipment: please view our product page to get a close up, and call us to learn more about what’s best for your practice, pricing, etc.
- Professional Development: continue to hone your ils expertise through specialized webinars, advanced training, case studies and Clinical Insights series (sent to you monthly by email), iLs Associates Group on Facebook, and more.
- Support: Once trained, iLs Associates may access the iLs Professional Resources pages of the web site for forms, documents and materials related to the marketing and application of iLs in their practice. Additionally, webinars, newsletters, case studies and ongoing professional development courses are available. Equipment and light clinical support are available at no cost via email and telephone. For more detailed case consultation, iLs’ Clinic Director and Advanced Certification trainer, Ron Minson, MD (psychiatrist), is available by appointment.